Thursday, October 27, 2011

:: KUIH BAKAR LABU ::

Kuih Bakar - baked in oven
 Hi Friends :)
I haven't got a chance to update my blog yesterday since I was busy at home doing a lot of 'maid'-thingy..huhu.. Today, I'll share with you a recipe I inherited from my beloved mom... an extremely simple recipe.. suitable for vegetarian and everybody can do! This cake is called Kuih Bakar Labu or some may call it Bingka Labu... whatever.. but this kuih is my favourite, I am a big fan of pumpkin :)



Before I start talking about the recipe itself, it would be better if I tell you about the mould first. As far as I know, there are 2 different sizes - small and large. Since I came from a small family, I bought a small one which is just nice to feed the 5 of us :) You could get this mould from any baking shop or even kedai periuk as well. I can't remember exactly how much it costs me, but I remember bought this piece at Pasar Borong Selangor @ Seri Kembangan.

Kuih Bakar Mould
Okay..let's go to the recipe. As I wrote before, it is damn easy to make this cake. All you need are:
Sugar
Flour
Coconut Milk
A slice of pumpkin, boiled till' soft

How about the quantity? This id depend on the size of the mould :) My mom taught me by using the large mould, so I halve her quantity :)

For small mould:

1 cup of Sugar (you may use half or 3/4 as well..follow your sweet tongue..I always use 3/4)
2 cups of Flour
3 cups of Coconut Milk with boiled pumpkin mashed       inside it

NOTE! Boiled pumpkin is watery, you may need to adjust or agak-agak.. follow your sense or you'll end up with pengat labu..hehe..
(for large mould, double up the measurement...)

How to bake this cake:

There are 2 ways you can bake this cake. But before that, brush some cooking oils to the inner part of the mould and pre-heat for 30-45 second. This is to avoid the mixture from sticking to the mould.

Pour the mixture into the mould.

You may choose either one of the baking method:

1/ Bake directly on the gas stove..the result will be a real kuih bakar like you seen in many nasi lemak stall, with dark brown or black kerak2 that is nice.. purely traditional way

OR

2/ Place in a pre-heated oven at 180-200 degree, bake till done. The result will be a nice Kuih Bakar Labu like photo above. 

Normally it takes around 40-50 minutes. Let the cake cold to room temperature before slicing it. Or else akan melekat2 dan lembik..

Alternatively, you may also use this recipe to make a Kuih Bakar Pandan by removing the pumpkin and add pandan leaves water to coconut milk.

Try this and give your testimonial :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment